Thursday, October 29, 2009

Creatures and Costumes of All Kinds Take over BCC

October 29, 2009

Any other day, having the Broome Community College cafeteria packed just means that there are lots of hungry kids on campus. However, this is a different story.

I walked into the cafeteria- a place a rarely have time to visit and never really need to anyway. But I was on a mission this day. October 29, 2009. I have spent most of October planning my 3-year-old daughters Halloween costume, I never got to plan one for me. That’s okay though, I did however buy a very nice and festive Halloween shirt just a couple weeks ago.

Since I have been going to BCC for awhile, I know that when October rolls in, the plans are being finalized for the BCC Halloween Costume Contest held in the cafeteria, and this is exactly what drew me in today. Nothing was ordinary about the cafeteria today. There were spider webs hanging around, people with lots of makeup and dressed in things I am sure are not their everyday attire.

Through the bubbling pots and howling music, I could hear people whispering. “Did you see the Joker?” “Who is going to win?” The contest hadn’t begun yet and I too was already anxious to see what was in store. I had a laundry list of ideas that I thought would be present in costume form. Things like witches, goblins and ghosts with perhaps the occasional Freddie Kruger thrown in to the mix.

It was announced that there were eleven participants and that they would be judged by six people from the Student Assembly. As each contestant was called, the costume kept getting more and more interesting. To my surprise, there were no witches, no goblins and no Freddie Kruger. There was however, 1) The Joker- John 2) Gaara Naruto- Sam 3) Logan Wolverine- Jordan 4) Union Soldier and Southern Belle- Carter and Andrea 5) River Otter- Michael 6) Wolf- Katelin 7) Ghost- Daniel 8) Cat- Ryan 9) Scarecrow- Amy 10) Designated Drinker- Patricia 11) Dark Wizard- Patrick.

Some of the costumes were downright hilarious; some scared the bejesus out of me, and some were really well thought out. In the end though, there would only be one grand prize winner, a second and a third runner up, with cash prizes ranging from $50-$100. One by one, the winners were called. In third place: #4, in second place: #5 and the $100 grand prize went to #6: Katelin Wilson the Wolf.

“I heard she made the whole outfit herself. That is pretty impressive. I could have told you she would win,” said a BCC student who didn’t want to be identified.

No comments: