Monday, January 21, 2008

Amazing Intelligence

January 21, 2008

An African Proverb says, “It does take a village, to work with the family, to raise a child and weather the storms of life.” Maybe that was true a long time ago, but nowadays, we can’t trust anyone but the parents to raise a child right. And sometimes, we can’t even trust them to do it right.

Ever since I have had my daughter, I feel like I have been trying to shield her from the woes of the world: the language, the crimes, the heartache and heartbreak. And I know that no matter how much I try, how many TV stations I block, how many times I try to censor my words, something is bound to get into her little brain and “infect” it.

As I watch my 15-month-old daughter go through her life, I am amazed at how much she picks up on things and not only understands, but repeats them. She just started saying the word “no,” and now says it 100 times daily. I know that a lot of the time kids say things just to hear themselves talk.

We can’t shield our kids from everything, and if we could I am sure it would kill them. All we can do is teach kids right from wrong and lead them down the right path. Whether they comply with it or not is a different subject.

©COPYRIGHT 2008 ASHLEY B.VINCENT

No comments: