Saturday, March 15, 2008

Upside down Jack

March 15, 2008

Every since I have had a baby, I have been watching nothing but the NOGGIN or Nick Jr. station. Cartoons galore for people who do not know. Tarrah, my now year and half old daughter loves many shows on there, but I find myself raising a brow at some of them.

Having my daughter learn another language as well as English, I do not have a problem with. Especially if it is Spanish or French, the other two dominate languages. However, there is a new show called Ni Hao, Kai-lan. Not Spanish or French, but Chinese. It is not the fact that I do not want her to be bilingual or tri or quad or any other kind of lingual, it is the fact that she is only a year and half and I don’t think that she should be subject to too many other languages other than English and maybe Spanish.

There is another show called The Wonder Pets that has a guinea pig, turtle and duck that save other animals that are trouble using teamwork as a foundation for their rescues. Granted the story lines are good and educational, the only problem with the show is that the duck, also known as Ming Ming, speaks with a lisp. I don’t know if they did that on purpose, but I do not want my daughter to gain a lisp because of that. Therefore one of our house rules is no Wonder Pets.

The rest of the shows are pretty well rounded. My daughter has her favorites and I cannot argue with a little girl who continually wants to watch The Upside Down Show, A show that stars Shane Dundas and David Collins as two brothers who live together in a strange house with a variety of unusual rooms. Or Jacks Big Music Show, featuring Jack, his best friend Mary, and his drum-playing dog Mel, all of whom are puppets. The show takes place in Jack's backyard clubhouse, and centers on the characters' love for music.

There are more shows that I approve of, however these two are her favorite. She can also sit and watch Blue’s Clues, although sometimes, it is only Shane, David or Jack that can put a smile on her face.

No comments: