Monday, July 14, 2008

Saving Claws or Saving Skin: No More Scratches

July 14, 2008

Boston Cinder Red Sox Allen (quite the name), the newest member of our household is quite the feline. He is a Tasmanian devil that had to be put under control. I am all for declawing, especially if you are 100% sure that the cat will be an indoors cat and have no access to the outside world. That is his life here, no access to an outside opening, unless he is perched in a windowsill.

Boston, being a kitten at the time we got him, was like any other kitten, playful and unaware. He would play, day and night with whatever moved. And as he played, he was unaware that his claws were little weapons attacking our skin. With a toddler in the house, we had to find an alternative to leaving him with little knives on his paws. If you read Saving Claws or Saving Skin, you remember my hassle with Soft Claws.

I really would have loved to find a better alternative that would take my worries away for good, but the only way I could be sure that my daughter would be safe from scratches would be declawing. Granted, Franny Syufy had said this would be an “irreversible decision,” I felt it to be the very best decision for my little feline.

Now, more than a month later, my kitten Boston is free to play without supervision. I have no more worries that he will be hurting anyone including our other cat Mickey Mouse Vincent. They both have been declawed and the only one with an advantage is Mickey, who still has her back claws, but doesn’t use them.

Declawing may not be right for every one’s feline, but if you think that it is right for you, then speak with your vet.

No comments: