Saturday, September 22, 2007

Guardian Angel

September 22, 2007

He was about 6 feet tall and looked like he broke into cars for a living, but I swear he was a guardian angel sent to me. I was at the Oakdale Mall and it was almost 7 p.m. The night began to fall upon us as the suns light dwindled. This was the perfect time for me, a young 22-year-old lady with an 11-month-old daughter to lock herself out of the old 1995 Toyota Corolla.

I remember his voice was crackly. He sounded like he hadn’t talked in years.

“Do you need some help?” He asked with a slight smile. But it was obvious. I had a coat hanger sticking out of the frame of my car, my daughter whining in a cart and my mom trying to peek through the glass to direct me towards the window handle.

“YES! Please, if there is anything you can do…” before I stopped talking, he was already jimmying his way to get the window down. Two hours went by than seemed like forever. Fishing the hanger into the car, taking it out, rearranging the wire and fishing it back in… he must have done it 50 times before I heard, “The window is down.”

Down… a half an inch, that’s all. Somehow though, this guardian angel grabbed my purse, and found the keys inside, brought them to the window, unhooked them, and unlocked the door.

Success and a rescue from a complete stranger I otherwise would never have spoken to.

No comments: