Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Maybe You Are an Alcoholic…

October 15, 2008

Think of drinking alcohol as smoking a cigarette. We as mothers and fathers know the dangers of second hand smoke to our kids. What are the effects of drinking in front of kids? Where should and shouldn’t there be alcohol served? Who should be the ones to know not serve it at inappropriate times?

I recently attended a 3rd birthday for my friend’s daughter at her house. Between my daughter, her daughter, the little neighbor boy and a few relative kids, there were about six kids all together there. My friend seemed to have thought and planned the party well. There were toys for the kids to play with and even a bounce house. The kids were having fun and the adults were in their own conversations. When someone asked me what I wanted to drink, I asked what they had. They said in the cooler on the floor there is coke, diet, cream soda, corona lime and Bud.

ALCOHOL? Served at a 3 year olds party? Yes, there were adults, but it wasn’t a party for them, it was for the kids. And the alcohol was in arms length for the kids to get. This was odd to me, and with my daughters 2 year old party around the corner, it became clear that serving alcohol at a kids place is unsuitable.

After celebrating her birthday, I decided to get some family members together to take my daughter to Chuck E. Cheese’s for the first time. We were thrilled to see her having so much fun, until a gentlemen walked by us with what seemed to be a beer; and sure enough, beer was on the menu.

Is this okay to serve beer or any alcohol around kids so young? Where are all the clear judgments of people and parents and authority going?

No comments: